Sylvia Barr Center
Located at Cook Medical Center
706 North Parrish Avenue
Adel, Georgia 31620
Send an email
Take a virtual tour
Helping seniors find their way back
The issues affecting seniors are uniquely challenging, but some are not necessarily present at any age in life. When an individual’s emotional problems become disruptive and significantly affect his or her ability to care for basic personal needs, an increased level of care may be needed. Allow us to partner with you in making the future brighter for you and your loved one. Hope is just around the corner.
How to Begin
Patients can be referred by self, family, physicians, hospitals, assisted living facilities, or nursing homes. For more information, or to take the next step, call The Sylvia Barr Center. A professional therapist will determine if the patient is appropriate for treatment on the unit and assist with the administration process.
If the patient does not meet the criteria for inpatient care, alternative care and resources will be located and offered.
The Sylvia Barr Center can help with any of the following:
- Unresolved grief
- Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias
- Other mental health issues
Some issues are too much for an independent care giver to manage alone. Consult our staff if one or more of the following apply:
- Confusion or disorentiation in familiar surroundings
- Aggression, impulsivity, hyperactivity
- Obsessive compulsive behaviors
- Lapses in speech
- Difficulty with bathing, grooming and hygiene
- Inability to recognize family and friends
- Self injurious behaviors
- Adjustment issues or difficulty adjusting to life changes
Help is available
Trained professionals are ready to evaluate your loved one and create an individualized plan of care targeted at an optimum level of improvement for each individual and his/her needs.
- Diagnostic testing
- Psychiatric and physical assessment
- Medical management and education
- Motor skill development
- Individualized treatment planning
- Family education and support
- Basic life skill enhancement
- Assisted living facilities
- 24-hour nursing and medical support
- Placement assistance
- Individual group therapy
- Access to physical and nutritional therapy
- Recreational therapy
Your treatment team
Your treatment team is multi-disciplinary in design to ensure the best quality patient care for those who trust us with behavioral health needs. Along with the family doctor, the team includes:
- Medical director
- Nurse manager
- Nursing professionals
- Social worker
The Sylvia Barr Center is ready to help your loved one achieve a healthier, more productive life.
Wendy Vandemark, M.D.
“When friends and family think there is no help for their loved one, The Sylvia Barr Center will be able to provide a safe environment surrounded by people who care, are concerned, are loving and are always available to help. The Sylvia Barr Center is the answer for so many who need help with senior mental health issues.” – Dr. Vandemark